Friday, May 23, 2008

non sum dignus Domine

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a gesture is worth a million.

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- The four dozen people who received Communion from Pope Benedict XVI on the feast of the Body and Blood of Christ received the Eucharist on the tongue while kneeling.

Imagine if this were done elsewhere, perhaps EVERYWHERE. While standard and mandatory in the Extraordinary form of the Roman Rite, it is still OPTIONAL and licit in the Ordinary form. If the option to receive Holy Communion 'standing' exists, then the option to 'kneel' or 'genuflect' must also coexist. Options imply a CHOICE. Sadly, some clerics feel it necessary to act as if they were Nazi stormtroopers and humiliate any of the faithful who freely choose to exercise their option to KNEEL and to receive on the TONGUE. Perhaps it is time to rescind the options of receiving standing and in the hand and go back to one method, KNEELING and on the TONGUE. We might see fewer irreverent and sacriligeous Communions and the public display of reverence would also bolster Eucharistic piety, devotion and affection. When something is valuable (not just monetarily but ontologically), we treat it with awe and respect. When something is trivial, we treat as pedestrian. The Real Presence of the Body & Blood, Soul & Divinity of Christ DESERVES and WARRANTS our total attention, respect, love and affection. Crass and bourgeois behavior belittles Our Divine Savior. Reverence and attention to detail show deep and profound love. It also goes without saying that politicians who notoriously support abortion should not seek nor should they be given Holy Communion since their sinful endorsement of a grave evil disqualifies them from reception and makes it a sacrilege.

8 comments:

Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I couldn't agree more. In our parish, I think ONE person kneels for Communion and it's such a hard, marble floor. She's gotten lots and lots of flack for that and even considered standing just so she didn't make waves. She wanted to be obedient but, in the end, decided that she feels like our Lord deserves the most respect she can give and decided to kneel anyway (she's my cousin and one of my best friends and I KNOW she thought so hard about this and isn't doing it out of vanity or anything. It's so sad that she had to think of this at all when it's the right way to receive!) The attitude of the EMHCs and Father have always been sort of a "let's move it along faster and get it over with" mentality and that's sad, too.

Adrienne said...

When I first starting attending the Ordinary Form of the Mass (after escaping from the SSPX), I would get a bit ill at the goings on. Keep in mind that our pastor is pretty "by the book" so there were no dancing girls, et al - just a "plain" NO Mass.

Nine years have passed and I still belive that allowing people to receive communion with no more reverence than receiving a party favor, is the single most damaging thing the new order of the Mass fosters.

Kit said...

Amen, padre!

Anonymous said...

because of a snow storm this past winter, there were only a handful of people at the very early morning Mass. At Communion time Fr. said, "Since there are so few of us, let's just receive at the communion rail." Everyone stood there unsure what to do. I immediately dropped to my kness, thrilled at this rare opportunity. I hope I don't have to wait for another snow storm to receive at the Communion rail.

gawgiagirl said...

Thank you Padre! In a parish where the bulk of the congregation stands because of non-existent kneelers, I prayed much before receiving while kneeling today. I always kneel at our seats, but I had never done so at the Eucharist. Being the Feast of Corpus Christi, I felt so RIGHT doing this today. How could I have never done this before! Thanks for the education! Praise be to God for good priest like you.

gawgiagirl said...

Thank you Padre. Kneeling to receive Our Lord on the Feast of Corpus Christi was absolutely amazing. I can't believe I have not done this all my life. Thank you for the education and Thanks be to God for good priests like you!

Sanctus Belle said...

Very well said, I've not read a clearer statement in defense of recieving kneeling and on the tongue. In my diocese I know of no churchs who still have an altar rail. Many churches have no kneelers. I pray that standing and hand reception are abrogated soon.

Anonymous said...

I see a contradiction here:
"Sadly, some clerics feel it necessary to act as if they were Nazi stormtroopers and humiliate any of the faithful who freely choose to exercise their option to KNEEL and to receive on the TONGUE. Perhaps it is time to rescind the options of receiving standing and in the hand and go back to one method, KNEELING and on the TONGUE."
If the first is an example of intollerant behaviour (I can't understand why you keep using the term Nazi in reference to other Catholics - especially priests), not allowing the option in the ordinary form to stand and receive the Holy Eucharist in the hand is equally intollerant and goes against the what is explicitly allowed in forma vigentes.

My Blog List

Blog Archive