Thursday, April 05, 2012

on the mend

I want to thank Father Zuhlsdorf, Matt Abbott and everyone on the internet who was kind enough to keep me in their prayers. On Friday, March 16th, I was in an automobile accident. After spending three days in ICU at Clearfield Hospital (Pennsylvania), I was discharged and my Deacon Jim Rush drove me back to my parish. Although there were no broken bones (Deo gratias), I did incur injuries to my leg, arm, chest and lower torso (severe bruising and contusions).  My Guardian Angel deserves a raise and promotion as I am most grateful for no breaks or fractures and am VERY grateful to be alive.  I was driving back to my parish after visiting my mother in Erie. She had major surgery on her spine last month in Pittsburgh. The operation was successful but she encountered several complications which placed her in ICU for a few days. She was then discharged and taken to skilled nursing facility in her home town of Erie.  I was driving (300+ miles one way) every week to be with her.  The Blessed Mother has been watching over her (and me).

I turned 50 on March 31st and sat with the elderly and handicapped priests at the Chrism Mass last Monday at the Harrisburg Cathedral. I was the youngest one in that pew but felt like the rest of my infirm brethren.  We had to watch that our canes did not fall on the floor during the Bishop's homily.  Father Ken Brighenti (Vice Rector of Mount St. Mary Seminary, Emmitsburg, MD) has been very good in helping me recuperate and my doctor is pleased with my slow but steady recovery. I have been overwhelmed by the many cards and emails from friends at EWTN, Catholic Answers Radio, readers of our Dummies' series and those of you who read this humble blog.  Your prayers and support for both me and my mother are an invaluable treasure.  It will take some weeks for my wounds to fully heal but I am most fortunate the Good Lord and His Blessed Mother have never left my side.  Please continue to pray for mom as she, too, slowly recovers.

Please pray for my schoolmate Bishop William Skurla as he prepares to be installed as Archeparch of Pittsburgh for the Ruthenians on April 18.
GOD GRANT HIM MANY YEARS

Please pray for the soul of my late cousin, Father Stefan Katarzynski, a priest of the Diocese of Erie, who died today (April 5) in 1978. He was found murdered in his rectory. His parish had been beset with robberies and there was an active Satanic cult in the area at the time. Father Steve (as we called him) was very influential in me entering High School Seminary. He and my late pastor, Msgr. Ennis Connelly, were true role models, along with my mentor and dear friend, Father Bob Levis (who lives down the hall from my mother at the same nursing home).  REQUIESCAT IN PACE

BUONA PASQUA

24 comments:

Marilyn H said...

God bless you, Father Trigilio. You and your mom have been in my prayers. Fr. Levis as well. I will add the other intentions you mention. Thank you for your good work and example. You have been a tremendous help to my family in our journey.

Anonymous said...

Father, just yesterday I was searching the internet for an update on your condition!

Will continue to keep you in my prayers, as well as pray for Bishop Skurla and the repose of the soul of Father Katarzynski - and your dear mother as well.

Lorraine

Jamie said...

Praise God! I was praying for you!

elena maria vidal said...

Dear Father, I am so sorry to hear of your accident but glad you are on the mend. I am horrified to hear of your friend's murder. God have mercy on us!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad, Father, to read that you suffered no broken bones and are recovering.

I used to follow your Q & A on EWTN.com and pop in, here, to your blog every so ofter.

Joan M

Connecticut Catholic Corner said...

God bless you Father! I am very happy to hear you are on the mend. I will continue to pray for you and of those you mentioned.

God bless!
Julie-CT Catholic Corner

annat said...

I'll continue to keep you and your mom in my prayers. Thank God you're both making progress. Buona Pasqua!
Anna Tardiff

Anonymous said...

Dear Father,

Get well and God Bless.

Thank you for your service.

Anonymous said...

May you enjoy a full recovery and the greater joy of the Easter resurrection. And happiness for your mother.

Father George Rutler

Anonymous said...

Dear Father Trigilio:
You will be missed this year at the Divine Mercy Celebration @ the Blessed Sacrament Shrine in Raritan New Jersey. We have been fortunate and blessed to find another priest to take your place as the main celbrant. We will continue to keep both your Mother and you in our prayers and hope to see you again next year!
Yours in JMJ,
Ted English

Angelica said...

God bless you Father, I also prayed for you when I found out about your accident; I have learned a lot from you

Barb Finnegan said...

Dear Father,

I heard about your accident on Spirit Daily. Thanks be to Our Lord and Our Lady (and a big 'kudos' to your Guardian Angel), you are on the way to recovery! I was thinking of your mom when I heard that you were injured. And I'm also glad that your good buddy Father Brighenti is helping you out! May you have a full and complete recovery! 'Buona Pasqua' to you, too!

Barb Finnegan (Upstate NY)

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful news to hear that you and your dear mother are both on the mend. God is good! May He bless and keep you always in the palm of His hand. A most blessed & happy Easter to you!

Christine said...

Dear Father,
So very glad to hear you are well. God bless you and keep you.
Christine

Kevin said...

Dear Father T - god Bless you and your ministry. May you and your mother's recuperations be complete. Happy and Blessed Easter!

Anonymous said...

Fr. Trigilio, You are continuously in our prayers, including our nightly rosaries, for your recovery. First it was Fr. Groeschel, and now you. May you likewise return to good health and doing our Lord's work reaching out to the faithful and not so faithful. Happy Easter, Father! Patricia & David

Anonymous said...

God Bless and heal you Father, and thank you for your prayers and outreach to us all.

Anonymous said...

Father, So happy to read of your recovery! I was concerned...May God continue to heal you, your mom, Fr. Levis & hear all your prayers through Mary the Mother of The Most High Priest Jesus Christ.
Buona Pasqua!
He is Risen+ indeed Mary+ He is Risen+

Anonymous said...

Fr Trigilio,
Was nice to see you back this week. Best wishes for a speeds recovery. Happy Easter.

teresita25 said...

Father Trigilio, I'm very glad that you're doing better. Found out bout the news from Matt Abbott's column. I offered up Communion for you twice. will keep you in my prayers. Am glad that I found your blog again. Have to check if I have added it to Favorites or not. Also offered up today's Holy Communion as I was reading your update, again, from Matt Abbott's column. A big hug and God bless, teresita25

Ryan Scott Logan said...

So Happy to hear you are getting better Father Trigilio.I had a mass said for you and have been praying the Rosary and DM Chaplet.I hope to see you back in the pulpit soon.In your charity would you Father and all the other posters here pray for my mother.She is in poor health do to cancer and has many problems following surgery in 2010.Her name is Jane.We are also in danger of losing our home.We need a lot of prayers.Only a miracle could help.Thanks Scott

Anonymous said...

I continue to pray for your complete recovery, Father, as well as healing for your mom. You are very special people, surrounded and supported by many who love you. God is Good!

Anonymous said...

Dear Father,

Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you are on the mend. Will keep you in my prayers. God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Father; I hope your health continues to improve, God bless you.

My Blog List

Blog Archive